Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tidbits Till Saturday

Jason Engwer has put together an interesting entry: Are The Letters Of Ignatius And Polycarp Forgeries? based on Allen Brent's Ignatius Of Antioch (New York, New York: T & T Clark International, 2009). Great stuff, a worthy read.

On the other hand, a Romanist apologist seems to have finally gotten a copy of What Luther Says (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1959; one-volume edition; tenth printing). If this is so, expect a torrent of Luther related posts.

Someone over at the Catholic Champion commented on my recent look at Cyril's "out of the New Testament" tidbit:

It appears that Lecture 18, which clearly puts Saint Gregory at odds with a Scripture Alone mentality, is not something Mr. Swan feels the need to address. I did notice that he jumped all over you about asking him a simple question about Lecture 17 that was not even elaborated on, and Mr Swan even went and posted something on his blogsite about it. Yet he wrote nothing about 18 which you did elaborate on. Interesting, but not surprising.

I simply didn't get to it yet, and I probably won't until at the earliest, next week. As to "jumping" about a simple question, that translates to: looking up a quote no one expected me to. The mis-reading by Matthew was so atrocious on Lecture 17, that I wasn't very inspired to look up his other references.

Here was an interesting exchange on my post about Gregory of Nyssa's Unwritten Traditions. It's funny how those with their feet sunk firmly in the mud on Rome's side of the Tiber will not admit the translator blundered with the Greek. In the link, the Romanist who insisted that the word for Scripture has a negative modifier, ἀ, shows his own ignorance. The negative modifier in Greek is ἀ, but that's not the modifier in this word...The modifier is ἀνά, meaning "on or upon." The word ἀνάγραπτοι means "written upon" or "recorded." Can't at least one zealous defender of Rome admit the translator got it wrong?

Catholic apologist Mark Shea has quite a mouth when it comes to defending Romanism. His comments on Eric Svendsen in this post and this post show that from the heart, the mouth speaks. I look forward to the next time a zealous defender of Romanism brings up Luther's language.

I had an interesting tine on Iron Sharpens Iron interviewing David DiSabatino on his Larry Norman movie. The MP3 can be found here.

I had lunch with Chris Arnzen on Monday. His cell phone rang, he looked at his caller I.D. to see who's calling and says, "Hey, it's Harold Camping." I suggested he should have ended the call by saying, "...and thank you for calling, and shall we take our next call please..." I hope everyone enjoys the debate.

A few people are trying to follow me on Twitter, but I don't really go anywhere, so I've never posted anything on it.

I will be checking out of cyber space for a few days.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I suggested he should have ended the call by saying, "...and thank you for calling, and shall we take our next call please..."

It's been many, many years since I have listened to Harold but I thought he used to say "and thank you for calling and sharing,".