Friday, January 04, 2008

Spy Vs Spy: The Evidence Is In




"What we do see for sure is a slowly changing perspective in [Swan's] posts. First he made a big deal out of Steve's use and source of the quotation. Then he stated that he was more interested in the context and various translations of the quote. Now I think he is (very subtly in public) preparing himself for the possibility of being decisively refuted and embarrassed by our findings, which will be published within a few days, if all goes well in obtaining what we are looking for. We've already found some information that is quite damning to what Swan has been chirping about for five weeks now, and that is only part of it. Stay tuned."- Catholic apologist


Well, wait no longer, the information that I've feared for weeks has been revealed. Turretinfan alerted me to a Catholic apologist's response to the "Luther Quote" saga. He also provided a brief overview on of this "research," found here:  Catholic Apologist Assists James Swan while insulting him.

I probably would not have seen this response. When I followed the link Turretinfan gave me, the Roman apologist back-dated his entry to December 15, 2007. Now there is another entry up, thanking me for my efforts in our co-research project.

Obviously, I'll have more to say on this. For now, I would simply like to post a few sentences from this Catholic Apologist's "research"-

"Swan is also correct that the citation in question is indeed from Luther's 1527 treatise: That These Word of Christ, "This Is My Body," etc., Still Stand Firm Against the Fanatics (found in LW, vol. 37)"

"In a source helpfully provided by our esteemed friend James Swan, it is noted that the Latin version was entitled contra Fanaticos Sacramentariorum spiritus. This would account for the widely differing source names, according to whether one was citing a Latin or German version. Of course, the main "fanatical Sacramentarians" Luther is responding to were Zwingli and Oecolampadius; thus in common usage we can see how it could become known as simply Contra Zwingli and Oecolampadius or variation thereof. Bellarmine above combines both things in his title."

For those of you who followed my entries on this, thank you for reading them, and thank you for hanging in there with me. There was never any question in my mind that I knew what I was talking about on this. Note how freely and frequently I was insulted and ridiculed, and made to feel as if I had the burden of proof, after I provided the actual context of the quote in my initial post on the aomin blog.