Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Eucharist Brain Teaser

OK, someone navigate this one for me. Carrie's quiz is hard enough, but this one is real mind bender.

Catholic Layman: "Honestly James, your silly "defense" of Luther mystifies me. You know that Luther would rather celebrate the Holy Eucharist with me, a stupid papist, than with you, a 'non-believer'." [source]

Cardinal Ratzinger: "After his final break with the Church, Luther not only categorically rejected the papacy but he also deemed the Catholic teachings about the eucharist (mass) as idolatry because he interpreted the mass as a relapse into the Law and, thus, a denial of the Gospel." [source (PDF alert)]

Layman or cardinal... layman or a guy who went on to be pope...hmm... this IS a tough one... OK, I give up. Who would Luther rather celebrate the Eucharist with?

4 comments:

The Blogger Formerly Known As Lvka said...

That's an easy one: none! :-)

Carrie said...

Poor Luther. You never know which direction he will be pulled to support an argument.

Carrie said...

I should clarify:

"to support a Catholic arguement."

James Swan said...

Actually, it's a bit of trick question anyway, as I don't recall Luther commenting on Calvin's view, although I do have a very vague recollection that he was aware of it, and was not overly negative toward it, but I'd have to check. I would hold Calvin's view.