Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Luther on Adoring the Sacrament

I recently saw this Luther quote being used by Roman Catholics:
It was likewise asked, whether honor and reverence were to be shown to the sacrament? I said: When I am at the altar, and receive the sacrament, I bow my knees in honor thereof . . . ("Table Talk," translated by William Hazlitt, Philadelphia: The Lutheran Publication Society, n.d., section: "Of the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper," p. 207, #363 [CCCLXIII] )
This Tabletalk quote appears to be a variant of this:
No. 344: No Compulsion to Observe Ceremonies Summer or Fall, 1582 
When somebody asked Martin Luther whether the sacrament [of the altar] ought to be adored, he replied, “One should not make an act of worship out of the sacrament. To be sure, I kneel, but I do so out of reverence. When I am lying in bed I receive it [the sacrament] without kneeling. It is a matter of freedom, just as one is at liberty to kiss the Bible or not. This might also be called adoration. If I do not do it, I have not sinned. But if anybody tries to compel me to do it as a thing necessary for salvation, I refuse and preserve my freedom.” Luther, M. (1999, c1967). Vol. 54: Luther's works, vol. 54 : Table Talk (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald and H. T. Lehmann, Ed.). Luther's Works (54:49). Philadelphia: Fortress Press.

This translation is based on WA TR 1:139. There is also a different version in WA TR 2:201.

What's interesting is that in the first snippet quoted above, it is reported Luther went on to say:
They that do not hold the sacrament as Christ instituted it, have no sacrament. All papists do not, therefore they have no sacrament; for they receive not the sacrament, but offer it. Moreover, they administer but one kind, contrary to Christ’s work and ordinance, and not man’s. The papists err in attributing to the sacrament, that it justifies, ex opere operato, when the work is fulfilled.

2 comments:

Rooney said...

The Sedevacantists say that since the post-Vatican II mass is invalid, the people are just worshiping a piece of bread.

PeaceByJesus said...

It seems you no longer seen much of RC debates here anymore. Perhaps you have silenced them or they do not see it as just and reasonable, as per. Can. 831 §1

Unless there is a just and reasonable cause, no member of Christ's faithful may write in newspapers, pamphlets or periodicals which clearly are accustomed to attack the catholic religion or good morals. Clerics and members of religious institutes may write in them only with the permission of the local Ordinary. - http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P2P.HTM