Saturday, December 03, 2011

The Reformers on the Book of James

I recently came across the pdf article, “A Right Strawy Epistle”: Reformation Perspectives on James" by Timothy George (Southern Baptist Journal of Theology, Fall 2000).  While I'm not a big fan of Dr. George, this is a good article to chew on the meat and spit out the bones (like spit out his seeming approval of the Anabaptist view that Luther practiced or taught "cheap grace"). The article is interesting because it compares and contrasts Luther, Zwingli, Calvin, Anabaptists, and Roman Catholic views on the book of James. Much of the Luther information is similar to my paper Luther’s View of the Canon of Scripture which I've posted on often. While I wouldn't agree with some of George's conclusions, the article shows that Luther's view of James was not followed by either Zwingli or Calvin.

No comments: