Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Reasons Not To Join A Reformed Baptist Church

On a cassette tape in my basement, I found a 20-minute broadcast of James White giving reasons not to join a Reformed Baptist Church. This temporary link to the broadcast will only work for about another five or six days:

Reasons Not To Join A Reformed Baptist Church

This link to the same broadcast should work after the above link ceases:

Reasons Not To Join a Reformed Baptist Church

Now, I’m not a Reformed Baptist, but I definitely agree with the points James makes.

4 comments:

Ric said...

I love the drawing of James White you posted there! Too cool!

James Swan said...

Frank-

I think a strong church should emphasize Law/Gospel. In my church there is a reading of the law, early in the service, and then a proclamation of the Gospel in both the hymns and sermon.

I am very aware of this distinction when i visit other churches, or more accurately, i'm looking for it to see if this distinction is missing.

In regard to the audio link, I find Dr. White's comments more a comparison/contrast with the current variety show approach of the modern day evangelical churches- some of these churches are more like the Johnny Carson Show than actually churches.

I know Dr white, and i know his passion for the Gospel- I know he is dedicated to it being preached.

James Swan said...

ric- the cartoon was from Dr. White's website.

phil- I just don't have the time to summarize the points, other than what i just mentioned to Frank.

LPC said...

I absolutely agree, seems to me that in an RB Church, you get to hear about your problem but not the solution to your problem!

This is a Law centered church, Law/Gospel is not in focus. In fact, I hardly heard JW mention Jesus.

All the reasons for not joining such as a visitor will not like the music, will hear about sin etc they are fine. But one central reason why I will not join an RB church in the way JW put it is that I won't get to hear about Jesus - the dier and doer of what i could not do.

Cheers,


Lito