I'm not nearly as creative as Hays, but here's a plan.
Say you were a public figure caught lying about your conversion story from Islam. Say you happened to be a respected guy in charge of a seminary. Here's a workable plan:
1. Admit to all your lies.
2. Step down from your position of authority.
3. Write a book about your troubles and epiphany of your own flaws.
4. Do the talk show circuit, promote the book.
5. Gain back credibility for your integrity of admitting your sins.
6. Live happily ever after again. You'll then be considered a respected sincere person again. Use the line: We all have flaws, but God still uses us. You'll be able to reinvent your career. You may not get the seminary back, but you'll get the microphone back. You'll be able once again to stand on a stump or your head.