Friday, March 06, 2009

Spy vs. Spy Revisited

And now...a brief excursion into the world of the sublime....

Recently I've posted a few articles on purgatory, both here and over at aomin. Over on DA's blog, one can find the following comment:

Dave, New challenge for you. James Swan posted an article on 3-3-09 where he argues 2 Macc 12 is not a clear reference to Purgatory. http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/inde...php??
You might enjoy refuting his comments, especially because he cites you by name and says you're wrong.


DA's response:
Thanks for the info, but I no longer waste time debating anti-Catholic sophists. When I did do so, for 12 years, almost all of them ran every time they faced an opposing argument. For the few who managed to not run, it was all sophistry and obscurantism. That is most unimpressive and irksome, so I have given up. I continue to make my own arguments but I don't bother with theirs anymore, because they never defend them when challenged. One has to understand how to rationally, properly assert and defend arguments.I don't have time for that. I want to dialogue with people who have some semblance of intellectual confidence in their positions.

Yes, DA is quite done with any responses to me....so can someone explain why he then went on to post Martin Luther Asserts That Purgatory is "Quite Plain" in 2 Maccabees? In fact, I recall reading this entry soon after it was posted, and then wrote this. I can't recall DA's entry word for word, but I think he lifted a quote from my entry and added it to his, though I could be mistaken. Sure, DA just decided to go looking for Luther's take on 2 Maccabees 12 & purgatory... sure he did.